Sometimes we wonder what to do with the left overs coz we don’t want to eat them over and over again. This is one such dish where you can use any left over meat such as beef, chicken or lamb, combine it with lentils and multigrains to make a quick wholesome meal in 30 minutes in Instant pot.
I cooked the multigrains and lentils in instant pot for 15 minutes using the soup setting then I threw in the left over beef which I shredded before adding and then another 10 minutes on “sauté less” setting. Meanwhile I prepared the tempering with onions and whole spices which I poured over the lentil multigrain meaty porridge et voilà the dinner was ready. This was such a wholesome nutritious, tasty and delicious meal that we licked the pot clean.
You could use any spices of your liking. Since I made the beef using indian spices I used whole indian spices for tempering. If you are using left over chicken from pot roast which you prepared using garlic, rosemary or other herbs you could use the same flavourings for this meal. I would have even added vegetables if I had them, so just kept it simple. It is so comforting to eat especially on a cold wintry day.
Here’s the recipe:
a handful or 1/4 cup each
split chickpea lentils
yellow pigeon pea lentils
red (masoor) lentils
yellow (moong) lentils
white or brown rice
1 medium sized Onion sliced
1 tsp chopped ginger
2-4 long green chillies
1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
a few leaves of mint
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
2 black cardamoms
4 green cardamoms
1x 2 inch cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup vegetable oil.
1. Wash and rinse all the lentils and multigrains in running water till clear. Put them in the Instant Pot, add 4 cups of water, close the lid and turn the vent to sealing position. Plug in the instant pot, press the soup button on and set it for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile shred the left over beef and keep it ready.
3. After 15 minutes, vent out the steam manually or wait for natural release. Then add the shredded beef mix everything well and set it on “sauté less” mode with lid uncovered for 10 minutes.
4. For tempering heat the vegetable oil in a small tempering pan and fry the sliced onions with the whole spices (cloves, cinnamon, black and green cardamoms and bay leaves) till golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste, turmeric and red chilli powder. Throw in the Instant pot the chopped cilantro and ginger.
5. Immediately pour the hot tempering on the grain lentil meat mixture in the Instant pot on top of the chopped cilantro and ginger as this gives more flavour.
6. This wholesome nutritious porridge is now ready to enjoy.