These soft pumpkin scones with a golden spicy pumpkin glaze to enhance the pumpkin flavour were so good with a cup of tea. These are quick and easy to make. On a wintry Sunday morning when you want something for breakfast really quick, these scones would be the best choice. You could mix in all the ingredients in a bowl and knead the dough with your hands. Or use the food processor to simplify and hasten the process of crumbling the butter and mixing everything quickly. You could have these ready in just 20 minutes.
Here’s the recipe:
1 1/4 cup oat meal
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup pumpkin purée
1 large egg
2 tsp Pumpkin spice*
1 tbs molasses
2 tbs heavy cream or half and half
2 tsp vanilla essence
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tbs pumpkin purée
1 tbs molasses
1/2 tsp pumpkin spice*
* You could use store bought pumpkin spice or mix together 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp nutmeg. 1/4 tsp cloves.
1. Pre heat oven to 400°F. Keep a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat ready.
2. Grind 1 cup oatmeal to a coarse powder in a food processor by pulsing on and off for 30 seconds.
3. Add to the processor 1 cup all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar and combine everything well by pulsing.
4. Add the chilled butter in chunks and process till the mixture is like coarse bread crumbs.
5. In a separate bowl whisk the egg with the pumpkin purée, pumpkin spice, heavy cream, molasses and vanilla essence.
6. Add the pumpkin mixture to a food processor and pulse till it comes together.
7. Dust a pastry board or counter top with flour and work the sticky dough after adding the 1/4 cup oat meal and more flour if needed. Knead till the dough forms into a smooth ball.
8. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to a 1/2 inch thick circle or square and cut into wedges or triangles.
9. Brush the tops with butter and bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 – 12 minutes when they slightly turn brown at the base.
10. Remove from the oven and let them cool. You could brush the tops once more with butter.
11. Prepare the glaze by whisking together all the glaze ingredients until it is smooth.
12. Spread the glaze with a butter knife evenly over the top and enjoy.